So those free kratom samples you’ve been waiting on finally showed up. You’re friggin’ stoked! Ecstatic! Ready to try this amazing herb you’ve heard so many good things about. But how do I use it? This is the first question many kratom newbies have. Don’t worry. We’ve got ya covered with Krampus Kratom’s countdown of the top 5 dosing methods.
5. Kratom Tea
If you’re new to the game, kratom tea is a great place to start. After all, it’s where I started – and failed miserably, I might add. The goal is to simply extract the alkaloids using scalding hot water as your solvent. This video can probably show you better than I can explain it. Many people swear by kratom tea and when examining the advantages, it’s easy to see why.
- It’s easy. If you follow a few steps like those listed in the video above, then you can make kratom tea.
- It’s efficient. A good recipe and sound brewing techniques will allow you to get a lot of mileage out of kratom tea.
- It’s not tasty. Drizzle in all the honey and sugar you want, kratom tea will likely still challenge your taste buds.
- It’s not foolproof. While kratom tea is generally easy to make, it also seems to be the most hit or miss of all dosing methods and may take some practice.
4. Kratom Drink
Word on the streets is that kratom tastes awful. I disagree, but that’s me. To make the taste more palatable, many users resort to integrating their powder into a drink of some sort. Everything from OJ to kratom smoothies are fair game. Use your imagination and you might be able to come up with something that hits the spot and doesn’t taste half bad.
- It works fast. Whether it’s a blended smoothie or OJ concoction, mixing the herb in a drink allows you to absorb the goodies directly, resulting in a relatively faster onset that often packs a stronger punch than tea.
- It tastes better. With the right ingredients, this method works pretty well at masking the earthy taste many people have a hard time stomaching.
- It’s tricky. Getting your dosing right can be tough with this method. Failing to optimally proportion your liquid with your powder could result in a case of too little, or too much as far as impact goes.
- It’s gritty. No matter how hot or how wet it gets (settle down pervs), kratom powder will not dissolve. This can make for some horrifically gritty situations when going the drink route.
Capsules offer a simple and straightforward way to dose kratom. While the need for your stomach to break down the gel cap material in addition to the powder causes the onset to be a bit slower than other methods, this was my ROA for at least a year so I can vouch for its effectiveness. “00” sized capsules are perfect for the task at hand.
- It’s simple. An easy peasy alternative to swallowing raw, gritty powder.
- It’s well balanced. Capsules tend to create a smoother, less overwhelming effect that tones down stronger strains.
- It’s lacking. Processing the gel caps not only lengthens the time to take effect, it seems to reduce the impact altogether, making this technique less effective than other methods.
- It’s a job. Preparing capsules can be tedious and time consuming – even with a capsule machine. Swallowing big ass capsules can be a challenge, especially when you’re dosing in the 8 to 10 gram neighborhood.
In Thailand, Indonesia, and other places where kratom grows naturally, the natives get down by chewing the fresh leaf straight off the tree. Place a nice-sized ball in your mouth and let it sit in a corner while slowly absorbing the juices sublingual style. I’m sure fresh leaves are preferred, but some quality dry leaf will work wonders as well. Tingle for wondrous tingle, this may very well be the most effective way to consume kratom. The results are flat out incredible!
- It’s awesome! Chewing kratom is superbly effective with near instant results.
- It’s the traditional way. This method equals undeniable coolness that comes from dosing like the natives and bonding with the plant on an intimate level. (there’s levels to this!)
- It’s addictive! Chewing kratom is extremely pleasurable and you may feel the urge to chew more than you normally would dose.
- It’s kinda gross. You’re chewing leaves and stems people. If you think kratom tastes offensive in a tea, just wait to you get a load of this method.
- It guarantees “kratom mouth”. You’ll spend an extra five minutes mouth washing, brushing and flossing after chomping down on leaf like a cow.
1. Toss and Wash
Finally … toss and wash, another method reserved for the hardest of hardcore kratom enthusiasts. This method is pretty much exactly what it sounds like – open your mouth, toss in a scoop or two of powder, wash it by taking a sip of your beverage, swish swish swish, and swallow. Walla! Toss and wash is one of those methods you either love or hate – and you may still prefer it while loathing it at the same time. There’s very little in between with this one.
- It’s surefire. If this one doesn’t produce astounding results, you’ve got weak kratom or tolerance issues. In terms of effects, it’s a “toss” up between this method and chewing. (pun planned)
- It’s efficient. Like kratom tea, T&W is efficient but in a different way. The results are near instant and very pronounced, so you can significantly reduce your dosing amount once you find your sweet spot.
- It’s foul tasting. If you have a tough time processing the taste of kratom, prepare to struggle. It’s an acquired taste to say the least.
- It’s tough to swallow. Toss and wash is an art form, one that takes time to perfect. Powder lodged in your throat. Missing your mouth and spilling shit everywhere. Doesn’t always go smooth for even the veterans.
There is no right or wrong way to dose kratom. As you can see, there are several methods, each with its own set of pros and cons. Everyone has their favorite. The only question is, which method will you start with?